An official from the Commission on Human Rights(CHR) hopes that President Rodrigo Duterte will cooperate if ever a full investigation into drug war killings in the Philippines will push through.
Human Rights Commissioner Gwendolyn Pimentel-Gana says that the cooperation will benefit both President Duterte and his administration.
The International Criminal Court (ICC) will be a proper forum to prove that the government’s war on drugs is not a crime against humanity, Commissioner Gana stressed.
President Duterte should not worry if ever the probe push through because they will be given a fair trial by the ICC, the Human Rights Commissioner said.
Last Monday, the prosecutor of the ICC asked for authorization to open a full investigation into drug war killings in the Philippines.
In a statement, ICC chief prosecutor Fatou Bensouda said that crimes against humanity could have been committed in President Duterte’s war on drugs.
Bensouda said that the preliminary examination into the situation in the Philippines has concluded and that she requested a judicial authorization to proceed with a formal criminal investigation.
Last December, Bensouda emphasized that there were reasonable grounds to believe crimes against humanity had been committed during President Duterte’s bloody anti-illegal drugs crackdown.
Based on Philippine government’s data, authorities killed more that six thousand drug dealers in sting operations, from the time President Duterte took office in 2016 until the end of April this year.
Different rights groups insists authorities have summarily executed drug suspects, but the Philippine National Police stressed that their operation became bloody because drug dealers fought back violently.
Human rights groups also accused President Duterte of inciting deadly violence and said police have murdered unarmed suspects and staged crime scenes on a massive scale.