The Study Direct Stream (SDS) provides a streamlined study permit application process for students who will directly enter their program or course of choice at an eligible Canadian school. Because of faster processing time and fewer financial documents required, the application process is much simpler for Filipinos.
Some international students can get their study permits faster by using the Student Direct Stream. Most Student Direct Stream applications will be processed within 20 calendar days if you are eligible.
Who can apply
To be eligible for faster processing through the Student Direct Stream, you must:
- Be a legal resident living in China, India, the Philippines, or Vietnam
- Have an acceptance letter from a post-secondary designated learning institution
- Prove that you’ve paid the tuition fees for your first year of study
- Live outside of Canada when you apply
- Have a Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) of C$10,000
- Get a medical exam before you apply
- Get a police certificate before you apply
- Have a language test result that shows:
- a score of 6.0 or higher in each skill (reading, writing, speaking and listening) on the International English Language Testing System (IELTS), or
- a Test d’évaluation de français (TEF) score that is equal to a Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) score of at least 7 in each skill (reading, writing, speaking and listening)
Who isn’t eligible for the Student Direct Stream
If you live in another country (even if you’re a citizen of one of the countries above), you have to apply through the regular study permit application process.
If you don’t meet the eligibility for faster processing, you may still be eligible for a study permit through the regular study permit application process.
Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC)
A GIC is a Canadian investment that has a guaranteed rate of return for a fixed period of time. Many banks offer GICs. The bank that gives you the GIC must confirm that you bought a GIC by giving you one of the following:
- a letter of attestation
- a GIC certificate
- an Investment Directions Confirmation or
- an Investment Balance Confirmation
- hold the GIC in an investment account or a student account that you can’t access until you arrive in Canada
- make you confirm your identity before they release any funds to you
- release the funds to you by providing:
- an initial lump sum once you identify yourself upon arrival in Canada
- the remainder of the funds in monthly or bi-monthly installments over 10 to 12 months
If your bank or GIC doesn’t meet these criteria, you won’t be able to apply through the Student Direct Stream.
The following banks offer GICs that meet the criteria:
- Bank of Beijing
- Bank of China
- Bank of Montreal
- Bank of Xian Co. Ltd.
- Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce (CIBC)
- HSBC Bank of Canada
- ICICI Bank
- Industrial and Commercial Bank of China
- RBC Royal Bank
- SBI Canada Bank
Bring your spouse, partner or child with you to Canada
Your spouse, common-law partner and dependent children may also be able to get faster processing on a visitor visa, work permit or study permit. You must complete and submit their applications at the same time as your own.
Senior Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant; Commissioner of Oaths
Foothills Immigration Inc.
Source – Canada.ca